#SEPTANDY – CoCo3 refurbishing

…or my #SEPTANDY entry

Intro

Please …

It is still September and we are in the middle of #SEPTANDY so I wanted to write a post about a nice machine that I’ve refurbished not so long ago – Tandy 128K ColorComputer 3.

Some time ago, I’ve also worked on another machine Tandy 1000HX but that is the story for another, longer post so stay tuned.

This is my #SEPTANDY – CoCo3 entry 🙂

CoCo3

I’ve got this Tandy from Wendell as a part of a custom order for him. The goal was simply to refurbish this machine and fix it if broken. Fortunately, in this case, fixing it wasn’t an issue. I only had to clean it nicely and this post shows how it was done. Nothing spectacular this time 🙂

CoCo3 is a very similar machine to a Dragon 32 that I’ve worked on some time ago so the cool thing is that Wendell already has all hardware to run software on this Tandy

My main problem was to get a 230VAC to 110VAC transformer as Tandy is powered by 110VAC … well 120VAC to be precise 😉

It took a short while to get such a converter but when it arrived, it worked as expected. Tandy was alive!

To be honest, I was surprised a bit because I wasn’t expecting that things will move on so smoothly.

The machine itself was in decent shape. It wasn’t yellowed but definitely required a solid cleaning.

Disassembly followed.

I wanted to keep the original warranty void sticker so I gently removed it with the help of a HotAir gun.

Keyboard

I’ve started working on the keyboard.

The keyboard construction is very similar to one of the Amiga 500 keyboard variants. The keys are spring-loaded inside and it has two-layer membrane. I had to remove all the springs to prepare the keyboard for cleaning.

After cleaning, it looked really nice!

The case

I had to remove a badge to prepare a case for cleaning. Again, I’ve removed it with the help of a HotAir gun.

PCB

The PCB was covered with a lot of dust that had to be cleaned. I was a bit surprised by how an under shielding is attached to a motherboard. It is attached with small metal pegs which is quite unusual solution. I’ve removed it wit pliers and cleaned all the dust with a brush and some IPA.

Testing and assembly

With every part clean, I was ready to run some tests and start assembling it back.

Results

The only thing that I had to do in order to finish this short project was to put back a warranty sticker on the case.

Avoiding voiding of the warranty successful 😀

Outro

There were no extreme repairs this time but I hope you’ve enjoyed this short #SEPTANDY – CoCo3 post.

If you want to get retro gear or hardware modules, please visit our shop -> https://retrohax.net/shop/

Please support our work by commenting here and on our Facebook and Twitter pages.

If you want to donate a dead computer then drop me an email. Extreme cases are welcome 🙂

4 thoughts on “#SEPTANDY – CoCo3 refurbishing

  1. Great work! I am working on a similar clean-up routine, although, I haven’t had to dismantle the keyboard… yet. I wish the warranty sticker had survived on mine, but it was an all paper type and would not have survived the water bath anyway — your CoCo3 cleaned up very well, indeed and it looks fantastic. Well done.

    1. Thank you! To be honest, I was kinda happy and sad at the same time lol. Happy, because it was an easy job and sad … because it was an easy job hahaha

Leave a Reply